Helpful Tips to a Successful Houston Garage Sale
If you are thinking about selling your fine Houston home, you'll find these timely garage sale tips will help you host a more productive garage sale. Besides, we all know “
one person’s junk is another person’s treasure
”. Talk about a great way to turn unwanted items into instant cash, plus, a garage sale is a great way to de-clutter your Houston home before you place it on the market.
Advertise Your Houston Garage Sale on the Fine Homes Houston Real Estate Blog!
Contact The Zoller Group
about FREE Garage Sale Advertising
Preplan for a Successful Houston Yard Sale
With a little pre-planning your Houston yard sale will reap far better rewards. Here’s your pre-garage sale checklist:
- Be familiar with your Houston neighborhood restrictive covenants and zoning laws regarding permits, restrictions regarding how often you can conduct a garage sale and the proper way to advertise your event. If you aren't familiar with your local laws and ordinances, Jim and I recommend you call your local/county authorities, HOA or planning department.
- Before you host your Houston garage sale we recommend you visit a few neighborhood garage sales to checkout pricing and to determine what sells best. Quick selling items typically include baby/children clothing and toys, electronic equipment, furniture, sporting goods and appliances. Be sure items are in good working order and in excellent condition to draw the most interest. For all high-value items that are in excellent condition, we recommend you consider using Craigslist.com.
- De-clutter your Houston home by going through your Houston home including the attic, and garage and begin to segment and compile everything you want to sell. To save time price items in advance to avoid confusion. On the spot pricing leads to negotiation opportunities and reduced profits.
- Read other Houston garage sale ads and write yours to feature the most desirable items.
- Talk up your yard sale with your neighbors. They may want to make it a joint venture - bigger is better!
- Set your garage sale date and time well in advance and always avoid holidays. Typically, spring and fall sales offer the preferred time of year to schedule your sale however in our current economy almost anytime should offer some good results.
- Make it a family affair by asking family members to help.
- Remember - the first few hours of your sale are when the dealers and yard sale enthusiast come early. Be prepared for these early shoppers.
- Have at least two people “working” the sale at all times. One person should be capable of negotiating price. Have some fun and involve the kids. Allow them to participate by offering drinks and snacks. A yard sale is a great way to teach your kids about commerce and the value of money.
- For everyone's safety, allow shoppers in the sales area only. Lock your exterior doors if the sale is outside.
- Eliminate any confusion by removing everything from the sale area that is not for sale before your event.
- Be a smart yard sale host by placing similar items close to each other.
- Be prepared to negotiate price.
- Be a good Houston neighbor and remove/retrieve any and all directional signs that were placed in the neighborhood prior to your sale.
- Donate any leftover garage sale items to a local charitable organization. Some charitable organizations will actually pick up unwanted items left from your yard sale.
Maximized Houston Garage Sales!
Armed with these timely tips, you are now positioned to make the most of your yard sale. Here is wishing you the best! You can still advertise your Houston garage sale for FREE - no strings attached! And if you sign up, we guarantee we will never give away, sell or rent your contact information!